Monday, January 22, 2007

Tying up some loose ends...

I've been reminded that I forgot some information. First, my frig: Turns out, evidently it was all my ignorance. I packed things in there so tightly when I left home that the air couldn't circulate. The freezer was fine, and when I moved food around, so was the frig part. Whew...saved some money there! A few days later, the microwave conked out. That one was the outlet that it plugs into. The GFI button won't stay down and the outlet is mounted high in the back of a cabinet, so it won't be getting fixed during this trip. I bought a heavy-duty extension cord and I'm just it running it across the aisle when I need to use the microwave. Could have been worse...pretty much everything I eat gets nuked!

While I was staying in Brownsville, I took a day trip to Port Isabel to go up in the lighthouse, then made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go across the causeway to So. Padre Island. There's a Mexican Restaurant there that I really like and besides, it gave me a chance to walk the dogs on the beach again. Good food and a long walk to wear it off afterwards!

I also went to the Palm Sabel Bird Sanctuary, but it was a disappointment. Muddy paths, pesky bugs, and very few birds. I walked the path to the Rio Grande River and was amazed how easily illegal immigrants can get into TX. My neighbors here in the RV park went to a different wildlife area yesterday and saw a bunch of Mexicans run out of the woods, jump into two cars, and speed off down the road. There was a Border Patrol car just around the bend that missed the whole thing.

My new next-door neighbors here in Mission are from Blaine, MN and are really nice. They have taken me along a couple times when they've gone shopping, and we went out for lunch yesterday to a small, very "quaint" Mexican restaurant. (Define quaint as something that would never pass Health Department inspections in MN.)

I've made the decision to stay here at the Mission Gardens RV Park for the rest of the month. We had a beautiful, sunny, 70-degree day yesterday, but now we're back to 50s and drizzly weather for the next 5-6 days. I just don't feel like moving when the weather is bad. Only bad thing about this park is no cable and only two channels. When it's rainy, thing s like TV channels get more important!

No comments: