Saturday, January 13, 2007

Down the Gulf Coast




January 9-10
After a nice night at the Victoria, TX Wal-Mart, I spent a nice leisurely day driving down to Port Aransas. I spent a couple hours in Rockport, walking the dogs along the fishing wharfs and smelling the wonderful smells coming from the seafood restaurants. (And I don’t even care for seafood!) I went across to Port Aransas on the ferry and found an RV Park just a few blocks from the house of my friends, Sam and Alice. I joined them and Alice’s mother that afternoon for a good homemade dinner before returning to the park and watching my favorite TV shows before going to bed. (I’m really roughing it, aren’t I?)

The next day was the long and unscenic drive down to the Mexican border towns. Check out the map sometime and look at the stretch between Corpus Christi and Harlingen. Except for Kingsville, it’s miles and miles of nothing. There’s a sign south of Kingsville that lets people know there are no fuel stops for 60 miles. I’m staying in Harlingen tonight and going even farther south tomorrow.

No comments: