Thursday, February 21, 2008

Texas Revisited

I realized that in my last post I skimmed over my time in Texas, so decided to fill in some details.

I spent three nights at an RV Resort in San Antonio, mostly relaxing, but busing into town one day to revisit some of my favorite things in one of my favorite cities. I enjoyed pizza and a beer while sitting on the Rivercentre plaza, watching the tourist boats go by and listening to the pilots' spiels. I fed pizza crust to the birds and was soon surrounded by pigeons, sparrows, and grackles. Some baby ducklings came by to see what the fuss was about, but I found out that they don't like bread. That was a big surprise!

After my lunch with the birds, I once again strolled along the River Walk. I did discover one place I hadn't visited before, a small art colony abutting the river. I believe it was named "La Villita," meaning Small Village, but I might not be remembering that right. (Kind of disturbing, how often that happens these days.) Anyway, it's very quaint and historic-looking, hidden away in the middle of the big city. There are many artists and artisans creating and displaying their wares in small shops. If you're on the Riverwalk, look for the broad rows of steps, like an amphitheater, and walk up to the top. La Villita will be right in front of you.

While in San Antonio, I visited a sister community to the one in Tucson and while it was beautifully laid out and had even more amenities than the one where I'll be living, it was so spread out that I didn't feel it would be as easy to meet people there. Also, San Antonio is a three-day longer road trip to visit the family in Tacoma, so that was a huge reason to stay with Tucson.

After leaving San Antonio, I went on to an RV rally in Kerrville where I met up with my friends Sally and Ron and met many others. Tip of the day: If you're in or passing through Kerrville, I highly recommend Mamacita's Restaurant. Excellent Mexican food and ambiance!

I moved on to Port Aransas after the rally and stayed a couple of days with my friends, Sam & Alice. While there, I walked the dogs on the beach and as I expected, it really made me miss Pacer. She loved the beach so much! I discovered, though, that memories of ones we have lost hurt for awhile after the loss because they remind us of what we've lost, but later on, they remind us of what we've had. I think I'm entering that stage now with my memories of Pacer.

I'm down in the Rio Grande Valley now, watching the weather forecasts and waiting anxiously to head home to MN. It was 85 degrees here today, and very humid. About 75 degrees warmer than at home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you've been watching the weather you know its been cold up in the northern states. I believe Minn. had some below freezing records broken this past couple of days.
Enjoy your time in the warm weather and think of us up here freezing.
Anne/Ennajean