Saturday, March 3, 2007

Yee-Haw...I'm in Cowboy Country!

It’s been a fairly quiet time since the last post; I’ve stayed within about a 60-mile circle and have actually made a circle route. I left the RV Resort near Bourne and headed up to Fredericksburg again, visiting the National Museum of the Pacific War. I had stopped by there with Ron and Sally the first time around, but the Admiral Nimitz Museum was closed for renovation and was scheduled for reopening by the time I got back there. It was fascinating to this WW II buff. My interest started when I had to take a History class in college and chose WW II History. If you ever get the chance to visit the museum, allow several hours to really do it justice.

Leaving Fredericksburg, I drove up to Llano for a BBQ lunch at the highly-recommended Cooper’s BBQ Restaurant. The beef brisket was incredible! (Thanks for the tip, OTBiker!)

Since it was right on the way, I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to visit Luckenbach again. It was much quieter this time…no singin’ cowboys! The chickens were the real entertainment. The chickens flew up in the trees, followed by the roosters, who chased each other until one of them was pushed off. They repeated this several times and then the three roosters had a crowing contest. They took positions about 20 feet apart, then took turns puffing up their throat feathers and letting loose with some really fowl yodels! This entire show played out within a few feet of the fascinated tourists…quite a show!

After Luckenbach, I went on to San Antonio to meet up with Mike and Shirley. We went into town the first evening to take the boat tour of the river and walk past the lit-up Alamo. The second day, we went out to breakfast to celebrate Shirley’s first Social Security check, then returned to the campground for a relaxing day and some very pleasant dog walks. The weather has been great the last couple weeks and as a result, the dogs are getting a lot of exercise and then lounging in their kennel outside. The third day in San Antonio we visited the Mexican Marketplace, doing some shopping then having lunch at a restaurant there. We next returned to the Alamo and this time toured the inside. It’s very moving to be standing on the site where so many people died. The same feeling I had when I visited Gettysburg.

I left San Antonio yesterday, following Mike and Shirley, and we are now camped at a campground in the dead center of nowhere. We went through the town of Bandera (the Cowboy Capital of the World), then drove for what seemed like hours through the kind of scenery you see in old westerns…you know, the guy crawling past cactus and tumbleweeds, calling out, “Water, water…” before collapsing. Anyway, we finally made it to the campground and probably won’t do much touring the next week, since the scenery is pretty monotonous. (And monochromatic, too.) If anything exciting happens, I’ll let you know. Otherwise, I’ll write again when I get back to civilization!

1 comment:

danamrak said...

Just letting you know again how much fun it is too read about your adventures. Glad the dogs are getting lots of exercise.
Anne/Ennajean